Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Dallas loves its bubbles.

***Originally posted March 24, 2010***

It's a wonder that this sprawling Metroplex really doesn't know much about itself. At least this East Dallasite sticks to his respective neighborhood and that's pretty much it. I know Uptown a bit and have a vague impression of Lovers and Greenville, but I couldn't give you any information about the Bishop Arts District, for example.

The thing is: the Jewel of the Flatlands does indeed have much to offer.

Did you know that Euless has a major Tongan population?  http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/2008-11-20-trinity_N.ht

Koreatown is a big deal too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koreatown,_Dallas,_Texas

The better you get to know Dallas, the better you understand why so many Asians are here: http://www.asianweek.com/2009/07/21/asian-growth-is-hot-in-dallasft-worth3/

Despite the richness of diversity in DFW, I have yet to eat chicken and waffles, happy hour in addison, or spend a dime at Sundance Square, all of which are possible with an adventuresome spirit and a tolerance for highways. Nonetheless, what prevails is a sentiment of convenience and laziness that blocks me from stuff that's really cool to do and see in this city.

In other words, I tend to stick to my bubble and I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way. Perhaps this is true in other sprawltowns as well. Still, I love Dallas, though it does seem to shoot itself in the foot at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment